Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Best Decision Yet

My kids can be pretty creative about describing words they don't know with words they do. For instance, my kids wanted to know the word for "rattle" as in "rattlesnake", so they told me "snake tail bell." I usually take those moments as an opportunity to teach new vocabulary. One day, after a rousing rendition of the Hokey Pokey in 5/1, my kids had all the names of the body parts fresh on their minds. I'm pretty sure that's why Champ felt it was ok to come up to me and share this nice little tidbit about his friend, Poop-pup. (Yes, Poop-pup. I have a kid in 5/1 whose nickname is Poop-pup.) Anyway, Champ walked up to me and said, "Poop-pup's bottom go boom." because he didn't know the word for fart. And while I think it is important for my kids to know as many English words as possible, in that moment I decided that teaching 5th-grade boys the word "fart" was not really necessary, which I'm pretty sure was my best decision yet.

No comments: